If you’re lacking the time it takes to have a regular fitness regimen because of work, kids, or life in general then simple exercises you can do while at work could be just what you need. These 7 simple exercises and tips you can do while at work are fast and easy.
1. Instead of using a desk chair, sit on a large exercise ball. The balance required for sitting on the ball is a great core stabilizer. You’ll be toning and strengthening your ab muscles without even realizing you’re doing it.
2. Resistance bands are great for your toning legs and arms. You can hook the bands to the legs of your desk or chair and do arm or leg reps while you’re sitting at your desk. If you are on the phone, switch hands as you do the reps. If you’re typing at your computer, work your legs with the bands.
3. Walk. During breaks walk as much as possible around the office. If you have ankle weights, then strap those on while you’re walking for an added boost.
4. Leave the elevator behind and take the stairs. Even if you’re on the 14th floor, walk up two to three flights and then catch the elevator the rest of the way. Doing just this one thing alone gets your heart pumping, and releases endorphin. It provides a great start to the day which both your body and brain will thank you.
5. Parking. You may not think that your parking spot has anything to do with your fitness level, but parking further away can actually provide a mini cardio session.
6. Stretching is always important. Sitting at a desk for 8-9 hours a day can lead to muscle stiffness, loss of flexibility, back and neck pain, restless legs, blood clots, and stiff joint.
7. Easy stretches you can do at your desk can be anything from reaching up to the ceiling with both arms to touching your toes, to ballet plies. Make sure to give your back a good twist from side to side to stretch both your spine and your abs.